BTCNJ’s 2021 RideSmart Rider Training Course
BTCNJ’s RideSmart bicycle rider training course will help you improve your competence, safety and confidence while riding on the roads in our area.
This course will improve your bicycle handling techniques and riding abilities, both on individual and group rides. The course is perfect for newer riders, but is open to anyone who want to improve or refresh their skills.
By participating in this training program, you will improve your bicycle handling techniques and riding abilities. You can become a safer, stronger and more skillful rider, and increase your enjoyment of bicycling.
The course will have two riding levels:
- C-C* – Riders who can comfortably average 10-13 miles per hour on flat surfaces.
- B – Rider who comfortably average 14-15 miles per hour on flat surfaces
Because of COVID, course schedule and format may be adjusted.
The course consists of:
- Two evening classroom sessions, most likely Zoom:
- May 18, 2021
- May 25, 2021
- Four on-the-road training sessions, where you will ride in a small group with a team of experienced instructors. The on-the-road sessions will take place starting at 9:00 AM at the Pequannock High School parking lot, on the following (rain dates are the Sundays immediately following these dates):
@1 at the Pascack Brook County Park
@2 at the Pequannock High School parking lot
Course “graduates” will receive high-quality water bottles with the RideSmart logo.
What You Will Learn
- How to prepare your bike and yourself for a ride
- How to safely share the road with motor vehicles and pedestrians (NJ Motor Vehicle Laws, proper hand signals, handling traffic and intersections, handling difficult situations, and more)
- Riding in rain or low light conditions
- Best techniques maintaining control of your bike
- Group riding techniques (spacing, staying together, passing, etc.); rules and guidelines for riding safely and courteously in a group; how to communicate when riding in a group; group riding in traffic and through intersections; proper rotation when riding in a group
The first on-the-road session will include a short classification ride, to ensure you are riding with participants of similar ability. We will assign you to a comfortable group. During the on-the-road sessions, you will get a chance to practice in small groups the rules and techniques discussed in the class sessions.
Course graduates will receive two Specialized “Purist” water bottles with the RideSmart logo, a $30 value.
The RideSmart course registration fee is $25. Space is limited. You must be a BTCNJ member to register. Registration is on a first come, first served basis based on when payment is received. Registration uses PayPal and you must sign into your BTCNJ Account. We will maintain a wait-list in case all slots are filled and there is a cancellation.
What is Expected of Course Registrants
Registrants are expected to make a commitment to participate in all sessions. To graduate from this program, you must not miss more than one session. As space in this program is limited, please don’t sign up if you are not available on more than one of the dates listed above. All participants must attend the first on-the-road session on June 19th.
If weather cancels a ride on Saturday, it will be held on Sunday. If weather cancels a whole weekend, we will extend the program to the next weekend, July 17th.
You must have a road bike, or a hybrid bike with smooth tires (no mountain bikes), in good mechanical order. You must come to the on-the-road training rides on time and appropriately dressed for that day’s weather conditions. You must be in good physical condition and be prepared to ride for 3-4 hours. You must have a current BTCNJ membership and at all times you must follow BTCNJ’s rules.